Wednesday, January 18, 2012

St. George Susquicentennial - Arts to Zion Studio Tour

The studio tour was a success. I had between 50 and 60 people tour my home and studio. It was fun to see friends, old and new.

The whole event was Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Nine other home studios were open for the tour, and about 30 other artists were represented at local galleries around the Saint George area. The Saint George Art Center was also open all weekend, presenting workshops, art demonstrations, and lectures. In addition, there was a silent art auction, and "Desert to a Dream" art contest, and the Zion's bank sponsored an art show in their "Staircase Gallery". I submitted entries to all three. I do not know the outcome of the Zion's bank show, but my painting in the silent auction sold, and I won first place in the "Desert to a Dream" contest with my 9x12 oil painting below.

Just before, and during the weekend I worked on the following pieces:
This is a 7 1/2 x 11 abstract of trees:
 This is a winter study from one of the upper valleys in Utah:
This is a variation of the above, but using a mountain that can be seen from I-15 between Payson and Spanish Fork canyon. I used "negative painting" to portray the birch trees:
 I completed this last one this morning. It is a watercolor on 140-pound paper that has had gesso applied to it. This creates a different effect that might be hard to identify as a watercolor. I call this painting "Red Hat lady #3".
I started working on the following monday morning...so it is not complete. It is another winter variation. This is more like the photograph I took, although this will have more snow than I saw when taking the photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment