Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Closing out 2011

The year is almost over, and although I haven't participated in many art festivals, it has been a very busy year with moving and setting up a new studio. But I'm in. I will be participating in St George's Susquicentennial in a couple of weeks on January 14, 15, and 16, as one of the open Studio sites. I am excited to open my studio to guests.
I also just submitted my application to St. George's Easter Art Festival. I have not yet determined what it takes to be chosen consistently every year.

What I've been doing:
I've almost completed a series of "rock" studies in watercolor. This involves a technique that prepares the watercolor paper with oil color thinned with turpentine. Here are some examples:


The turpentine wash creates a great background texture for rock images. This can be used for brick walls and stone fences as well as creek beds. More examples:



In these I began adding other images such as the fish and a leaf. more examples:


All of the above are on approximately 5x7 140 pound rough pressed paper. I then completed a 22x30 piece:
One would think I have exhausted this series, but have some additional ideas for more pieces.

I've also been doing a few cowboy scenes:





and just finished this one....another watercolor on gesso textured surface...


No comments:

Post a Comment