Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Recent Work

I have participated in the Cokeville, Wyoming Minerva Teichert festival for the last two years. Plein Air painting is a must in the Cokeville area. Capturing the character in the trees is key in much of the scenery. The cottonwoods appear to take on their own personality and the painters express this in their pieces.

I have done a bit of plein air, but am still working on capturing those cottonwoods. I've pulled some of my photographs from the last visit and am working through them. I hope with practice I can feel more comfortable portraying them next year.

This first piece is on an 11x14 board. This scene is driving out to a ranch just North of Cokeville--This is Charles Dayton's family ranch. Charles is an incredible Western Painter and promotes the festival each year:





This second piece is on an 8x10 canvas
This last piece is on a tiny 5x7 canvas I found at a second-hand store here in St. George. The trees are the same as those in the painting above, with a bit of variation--also "landscape" versus "portrait":

No comments:

Post a Comment